An Annoying, Rewarding Voyage!
The Pentland Firth has a fearsome reputation with ferocious tides creating wild, dangerous races ("roosts") which must be avoided, especially in wind over tide conditions.
There was only one small problem with staying for the Wick RNLI party and that was a difficult wind and tide conundrum. Having ignored the fair winds on offer (which would have made our Wick visit rather brief) we then had a forecast for NE (a beat but able to lay the NE corner of Scotland, Duncansby Head) backing N then NW (bang on the nose). Meanwhile the tide across the Pentland Firth needed full respect and careful timing, even at neaps, so we couldn't leave when we needed to for the best wind!
At 16:00 hours, we motored out of Wick into a sloppy sea with the wind already heading us and slowly dying. The tide was also against us, necessary to arrive in the Firth at the right time. This meant a motor-sail all the way, which I find very annoying. I'm sure that, in the good old days, we sailed everywhere. At least, that's how I remember it! Now the engine is totally essential and puts in a lot of work (7 hours this time).
As we rounded Duncansby Head, the tide remained stubbornly against us. Eventually I worked out that I had used yesterday's tide time (I must put my reading glasses on to navigate in future) and that we had nearly another hour of adverse tide. It was lucky that we had some help from the wind to punch through it. Now I was even more annoyed, mostly with myself, although we probably would have left about the same time anyway, to try and catch the last of the NE wind. At least the seas settled down into a swirly slight chop.
As dusk fell, the rain came down hard and I found important navigation work to do (under cover), while Rosie steered through the whirlpools. Dusk became deeper but dark never arrived, which made pilotage into Longhope very easy.
The next day we awoke to a brighter new morning in a beautiful place. We'd made it to the Orkney Isles!
Now all we want is some sunshine and the temperature to rise about 10 degrees. Surely summer will be here soon?
Congratulations on getting to Orkney after such difficult weather. Enjoy the wildness and the big skies. x Carol
ReplyDelete